4.04.2005

First things first

So for those of you out of the loop, this weekend I attended a "Festival of Faith and Music" at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI. We left thursday and returned today... good times. I got to meet David Dark and Steve Stockman and Sarah Masen and Sufjan Stevens, and David Bazan (yes, that's right... David Bazan... aka: pedro the lion...aka:headphones) and Josh and Nick, the editor and publisher of "Paste" magazine, and some strange guy who sang in a tree suit... hahahaha. Sorry, had to be there, but I've got pics... I'll work on getting those up soon.

So yes.. good weekend. We even managed a "detour" into Chicago for an hour on the way up, which means that I have been to/thru 10 states in the the month of May! Sheesh, you'd think I was actually a musician or something. And to think, if the AIDS march had been moved up a week, then I could have counted DC also...

Alas, I digress... so the conference: very nice, lots of thoughts, not near enough time. Workshops included, "Poetry and Pentecost: In Every Voice a Story," and "Storm the Reality Studio: Experiments in Telling the Truth" and "Signs of Life in Popular Culture" and "Gotta Let the Whole Kingdom Come" and "Crumbs from Your Table- U2 and Justice" and David Bazan addressing concepts of "truth" and "empathy" and the "creative process." Obviously there were some very interesting opinions present. And of course, the concerts were all excellent, even if a few were bizarre....

On a random note.. over the past year I have noticed that when it comes to the "CCM style" or, dare I say... nevermind, I'm not going there right now... but when it comes to "CCM style" events/workshops/retreats/seminars and whatnot there tend to be 3 times as many females as males... however, at RUF events/workshops/retreats/seminars and whatnot, there tend to be 3 times as many males as females... hmmmmm. Not that I'm complaining, but it does make me wonder... and i've come up with some possible explanations, such as the fact that the "CCM style" is usually more 'emotionally driven' ex; "how does this make you feel?" etc etc... whereas the 'RUF style" tends to be more "intellectually driven" ex; "what do you think about this?" etc etc. obviously we could play around with the "names" of these groups...but I'd rather not start a huge debate. At least not now. And yes, I am well aware that this could (and probably will) be completely misinterpreted. I'm simply making an observation and offering a possible solution... don't crucify me. Down feminists, down...if it makes you feel any better... in all my volunteering adventures, I've had to pull teeth to get guys to show up...well, almost always... but generally speaking, we've always had gals in excess.. while the male representation is always an issue.

okey doke, it's 9:00 and my body has begun to betray me. "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired..." hahahahand that's my cue...
To bed I said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the weekend, we had a great time planning it! I'm trying to use some web-based tools to pull together everyone's feedback and am particularly looking for people who have photos they could upload to http://www.flickr.com and tag 'ffm2005' so that this page can come alive as the hub of information.

If you're in TN you may be interested in two events next week that I've just blogged about. David Dark and Sarah Masen play a pivotal role in those proceedings too.