11.28.2006

Just do it.

Tonight at neighborhood group we got to talking about the theory that says: If you want to be something, or believe something and you are afraid that you can't, or you just flat out don't, sometimes it's best to start out by acting like the thing you want to be, and then over time you will become that person. I guess it's the whole 'do it to be it' thing. (Ex: if you want to be a more giving person, and you feel that you aren't that way or that you don't know how.. then just start giving and soon it will come naturally)

I started working on this recently and made some headway actually, but now I figure it's time to put it in 5th.

So:
I'm going to act like I'm excited about Christmas and not dreading it.

I'm going to act like I enjoy house hunting by myself.

I'm going to act as though babysitting in the (far-too-nice) homes of young families with pictures of their wedding and their family framed through the house doesn't phase me.

I'm going to act like I don't notice the wedding related e-mails and snail mail and phone calls that never stop coming.

I'm going to act as though I've forgotten that I have a wedding gown and 300 invitations and a plethora of decorations hidden at my parents house.

I'm going to act like it's just not a big deal anymore. Cause really, is it?

I'm going to act like an interesting person who is interested in things.

I'm going to act like I care.

So if the saying holds true, then soon I will be excited about christmas, I'll love house hunting, I won't be phased, I won't notice, I will forget, it won't matter, I will be interested and I might care.

Sounds like a good Christmas list to me.

"What? Ohhh yeeeeaaahhh. I feel grrrrreeeeeaaaaatttttt.. what's up? Me. I'm up. and I feel grrrrrrrrreeat!"

Mmhmm. great.

1 comment:

m0 said...

hugs. i seriously will look out for houses for you. i found one last week that i think we've got... but if you need someone to go with you someday, let me know. house hunting alone does kind of suck.

are you in full employment now? i've had a bunch of nannying offers lately that i keep wondering who i could send them to. i'd love them if i had the time...