Today during our staff meeting the boss had everyone go around the circle and share what they were thankful for.
I'm not typically a fan of such circumstances as it seems that any time I am put on the spot the only things I can think of are the stereotypical (no matter how true) things like: my friends, my family, Jesus. So you find yourself in the battle: say the cliches and be ordinary, or avoid the cliches and leave people wondering "wow, she's not thankful for Jesus. dang!"
So maybe I over analyze these things just a bit.
Anyways.. I really did have a hard time thinking of things, which is weird because last week I made my annual list o' thankfulness for this here blog. But in my moment of truth, I suffered. There I was in the midst of a group of thankful people. People thankful for the flag, immigrants thankful for America, near-middle aged men thankful for their wives... and me: friends, family, no school, lower loan payment. Wow.
Be glad you missed it, and therefore you get the REAL things I'm thankful for. So without further ado here tis:
Danica's List o' Thankfulness 2006
She's thankful for:
-Valentine: You come to me when I cry. That's amazing! 17 years and still going strong!
-Mo: You keep me entertained. Welcome to the list!
-My church: City Church East Nashville. It takes a special place to welcome both a persons pain and joy, and it takes special people to be willing to enter in to either.
-My job.
-My boss: thanks for the time off!
-Janice: for always wishing me a “blessed day” (even if you do call me “baby D”)
-Patricia: you make me smile. Thanks for appreciating me.
-I'm thankful that no one (with the exception of 1 person) at work really knows anything of substance about me. I'm not "activist danica" or "singer danica" or "the heart of belmont" or "the girl who got dumped by her fiancé"... I'm just Danica. And that's nice.
-I'm thankful that I have an office. fun!
-I'm thankful that I can wear jeans to work. Oh yes.
-RUF
-My Nashville friends : you make Nashville home. Thank-you for loving me enough to laugh or cry with me. Thank-you for refusing to let me forget who Jesus is, and for reminding me of who He isn’t.
-Kevin and Wendy Twit
-The 40+ people who sent me cards, e-mails, and packages last month. You know who you are. I love you. Thank you.
-Service Year: it hasn’t always been rainbows, but it introduced me to a great organization, sweet neighbors and a year of free rent.
-Childcare Solution: You kept my bank account alive and well over the summer. You let me cry on the phone and cancel 5 jobs with no explanation. You let me leave town for a month and you still let me take jobs with you. You prayed for me before you knew why. Thank-you.
-WOSMith: My kids: you make me smile. The staff: you welcomed me in, gave me minds to mold, then set me loose. Thanks for letting me share music with your students. And for helping me discover my theory teaching skills!
-I'm thankful for those that have helped show me reality by reminding me of the "conditional-ness" of thngs...and for helping me grow up by teaching me to be both realistic and cautious.
-My Oklahoma friends: we may not have proximity, but we have history, and oftentimes that’s more than enough. Thanks for being open ears and hearts. I miss you guys.
- Josh: I’m sorry about that day at Mozarts. But I am so glad you were there, and that you had your cell phone with you. Thank-you for coming home to see me.
-Indelible Grace: the music and the real thing
-Mom: Thanks for making bad things beautiful. (that's why I think you should paint sunsets.) You inspire me. Thanks for going to Boston with me, and for not letting me drive off that one day.
-Dad: You may not know it, but more than any other man, you’ve taught me a great deal about Jesus and how he loves people.
-Mom and Dad: I love you. Thank-you for working so hard to give me a beautiful wedding. And for working even harder to make it disappear.
-Jesus: ... I’m not as thankful as I should be. Help me in my unbelief.
-Nashville: “Tennessee you’ve been good to me. Yes I’ve come to believe you’re where I want I want to be... You may not be what I will always need. But I call you home. And if I call you home, then you’re good enough for me.”
-Sallie Mae: thank you for lowering my payments. I wish you would put it into affect now instead of waiting until January.. but I'll take what I can get. And I'm very very thankful.
This years seemed harder than usual.. but really there are so many more people and things I could include... really. The longer I sit and think about it the more I come up with.
Happy Holidays!
Count your blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment