11.14.2003

sigh. Badly Drawn Boy is amazing. He rocks my face off. He is my newest musical role model. As if I didn't like him before, last night I went to his soldout show at Belcourt theater and sat in the fourth row. He played 2 shows... that's right.. 2, for a total of about 3 hours and 45 minutes. It was quality. He doesn't work off of a set list either, just goes with his intuition (which as he stated, sometimes fails you) The first set he did was primarily him and his guitar, then he brought the band out for the second set. Geez, the man really is good. I mean, he's actually a musician! You don't get to many of those anymore, and he's more politically-minded thaan most might think. He's really laid back, there's definitely not much of a "commercial" side to him (if any!) which I think is cool.But yeah, he was mellow but funny too... everynow and then he would stop and say, alright I need a 10 minute cigarette break (although we all highly doubted that it was cigarettes he was smoking), and other times he would just stand there and smoke while he sang. He played quite a bit of new stuff too, so you can take my word for it that the new CD will be good! It's due out in March (give or take a year, he says). I have to admit that I was a little skeptical since a lot of his music is kinda "eclectic" and i wasn't sure what to expect. But it was great. Well worth my $15.

"...but I never found the time for the question to arrive, I just disguised it in a song. But songs are never quite the answer, just a soundtrack to a life that is over all too soon."

No comments: