I should preface this by saying that I agree with the idea that people should consume less and learn to conserve and preserve more efficiently.
However...
If I am honest, I the whole "global warming" movement kinda irks me.
Here's why:
It's so convenient. It's become this "popular issue" but in reality it's sort of this nebulous idea that even experts can't agree on.
Am I saying that I "don't believe in global warming"? No.
But I am saying that I find it ironic that people are more than willing to jump on board for a cause that they can't see, prove or experience, when in the mean time there are genocides going on right now that people HAVE SEEN. Governments and experts have confirmed them. It's right there, tangibly. Same thing with the AIDS crisis.. and yet, these movements have taken a backseat to "Going Green."
Personally, I'm not sure why we should bother preserving an earth where stuff like this continues without any intervention.
We've become so obsessed with organic and healthy living, that we neglect to notice the fact that people are dying from preventative, sometimes curable diseases. Yeah, hormones in the milk are scary... I get it. But so is dying from diarhea. But that's not our problem....right.
I know I'm on my soap box here, but really. Think about it. Is anyone surprised that the western world has really taken hold of this global warming fear factor? It fits right in with our fear inspired media: Killer bees. Y2K. The earth melting away because you eat meat.
Meanwhile, as of 2005 (read: 2 freaking years ago) 181,000 people had already died in Sudan.
But my ecological footprint was reduced. Somebody grab me a drink.
now that I've pissed off a lot of people, I'd like to reiterate the fact that I am asupporter of limited consumption, recycling.. etc. Hello, Europe's been doing that for years.
I just have a hard time putting up with crap from people like Al Gore who has a larger eco footprint than George Bush AND uses more energy in a month than most middle tennesseans do in a year. And yet, he wins a Nobel Peace Prize.
Seriously?
If I were a previous Nobel winner, I would be insulted!
Geez, I'm insulted regaurdless.
And ABC "Going to the ends of the Earth" this week? And doing so by encouraging parents to pack organic lunches for their kids?
You've got to be kidding me.
No comments:
Post a Comment